Monday, September 15, 2008

Lowest Common Denominator

I'm not a huge fan of La Push, although every time I go I manage to have a good time. It's hard for me not to have a good time with my crew of friends, and once you throw waves into the equation...no matter where we go I enjoy myself. But if you were to ask me where I wanted to go it would not be La Push.


I'd say the people who hang out there are about the closest thing to the Appalachian hill-billies that we have here on the West Coast. I'm not talking about the Native Americans. I'm talking about the rednecks who drop the chainsaw to come out of the Ho rain forest to hang out in a trailer park/campground because it's the most exciting scene for 50 miles.


The few surfers I've been introduced out there to have been pretty cool, but the majority of lot lurkers seem to be a mix between the ex-presidents and Cletus The Slack Jawed Yokel.

I honestly have no clue why this bothers me now, I've been going there for years. Waves usually give me the ability to tune out any asshole within a mile of the water. Maybe it's cause I have a rash from my aging and deteriorating wetsuit. It's time for a new one.

No comments: