Friday, August 24, 2007

PTO


Yesterday scored some of the best surf I've seen in awhile. Really nothing spectacular, but better than anything I've seen on the WA coast this summer - chest high clean lefts @ Elwah. It was a pleasant reminder on why I try to avoided surfing out on the coast as much as possible. Buoy is still reporting 5ft @ 11 seconds...I should have stayed, but work needs to be done.

Surf still a possibility this weekend, but will have to drive further out if I want to hit the Straits again. Elwah is a mess with the weekend crowds. There's talk amongst the boys about heading East and doing some wake surfing behind John's boat. I guess I'll get my turns in one way or another.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was out at the port on Saturday and Sunday...decent shoulder to head high waves, had some great footage on helmet cam but some lummox dropped in on me and the camera dropped to the bottom of the ocean :**(

'Ki'ng of Surf said...

That's a bummer. I'll keep my eye out for it the next time I'm being held down out there.

Was this your first time using it? I'd be interested in seeing some footage from it.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was the first time. I'm not too sure how good the quality is but the brand was Oregon Scientific Model ATC2k.. only $80 online, waterproof up to 30'. If you go on youtube and type in ATC2k it should come up, but vids on youtube are compressed so it might be better quality than it shows on there.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping an eye out for the cam, you might find it on a monster set hold down. What do you think about the 120-132 hour forecast from navy wave models? Worth it to head out to neah bay? looks like it's going to be SW so chances of straight action are not amazing.

'Ki'ng of Surf said...

I would think your best bet would be La Push. The direction it faces and the deep water channel allow south swells to get in there.

J said...

that is what i was thinking for this weekend too.

J said...

daniel, next time we'll have to attach some of those key floats to the camera.

J said...

These should help answer any of your ATC2K questions.

http://www.patrickcliffordarts.com/

(click on the blog link, upper right, this dude has lots of ATC2K film sessions, check out the entry in his archive titled "camera mount")

http://www.youtube.com/user/patsclifford

(hes got some of the same videos from his blog on you tube, may give you a better idea of video quality)

http://helmetcameracentral.com/2006/11/06/oregon-scientific-atc2k-atc-2000-helmet-camera/

J said...

http://helmetcameracentral.com/2006/11/06/oregon-scientific-atc2k-atc-2000-helmet-camera/