Sunday, June 3, 2007

Cleanwater Classic

Saturday road trip to Westport- wasn't expecting to really do much surfing (3ft @ 9sec W), but at least we would have the CleanWater Classic to keep us entertained.

When we pulled into the packed parking you could hear the overly enthusiastic announcer and see a crowd lined up along the bluff. I jumped out of the car grabbed my camera hoping to get a few pics and headed for beach. I got to the top of the bluff and all the sudden started to feel dizzy. The kinda dizzy you get when stare into an empty void and can't determine whats up or down. Ok, I'm exaggerating a little, but the marine layer was so thick you could barely make out the lineup. Picking out an actual surfer in the water was near impossible. I have no clue how they're able to judge from their vantage point?

Our original plan was to watch some of the contest, surf an sundown session, catch a freind's band playing the event party, camp, sunrise surf session, and be home by 10am. Needless to say we didn't watch much of the contest, the surf sucked, and we were back home by 10...10pm that night. At least I got to sleep in my own bed.

No comments: